Payroll/Human Resources Assistant
* Please note this position is a more of a support/assistant role.
The Payroll/Human Resources Assistant will provide administrative support to the Human Resources Department in areas of payroll and HR.
High School diploma required. Associate degree preferred in related field required.
Excellent PC Skills, Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite Software (pre-requisite), Human Resources Database Management ability (ADP preferred), Effective oral and written communication skills, Excellent interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation. Strong Organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Payroll and Human Resources Assistant in an office setting.
- Works with Payroll Supervisor to ensure the following:
- Account for time punches daily via Time System.
- Maintain and input data changes into the Time and Attendance system.
- Process bi-weekly payroll via Pay system.
- Collecting and inputting Salary timesheets
- Running procedures for hourly staff within time and attendance system
- Make any status changes per pay cycle
- Prepare payroll journal entries for cash transfer.
- Process 401(k) entries bi-weekly via John Hancock. Report and submit 401(k) contributions to 3rd party administrator; work with Payroll Supervisor to reconcile totals to 3rd party administrator's statements.
- Run third party sick payments via Hartford. Reconcile and process third party sick pay monthly.
- Run bi-weekly and monthly payroll reports and distribute to appropriate staff.
- Data transfer every week from Pay and time and attendance system.
- Provide support and answer any payroll-related questions by staff.
- Assist the Payroll Supervisor with the form W2 preparation and distribution.
- Maintain accuracy of benefit accrual system, furnish employees reporting of benefit time and understand calculation of monthly BT accrual as performed by Payroll Supervisor. Process benefit time donations and use of donated benefit time including monthly accrual.
- Maintain accuracy of all staff and client data in the ADP and MITC data bases, including pay rates, deductions, taxes, home departments and allocations, etc. Complete periodic payroll audits to verify accuracy of same.
- Respond to requests for verification of past/present employment, mortgage information, workers compensation and unemployment claims.
- Coordinate monthly orientation. Includes creating orientation packets, ordering, and supplying lunch.
- Assist with bi-weekly newsletter.
- Make new hire packets to make sure all forms are up to date.
- Assist Recruitment Coordinator with recruitment process including reference checking, pre -screening applicants, scanning applications, creating new hire packets.
- Assist the HR Recruitment Coordinator with internal and external job fairs.
- Handle administrative details relative to HR initiatives and programs. This may include, but is not limited to faxing, mailing, e-mailing, filing, scanning, making flyers and organizing events.
- Complete file audit of new hires.
- Send out monthly reminders for physicals, driver's license and background checks.
- Prepare Health Insurance Enrollment packets for benefit orientation.
- Responsible for updating HR Bulletin Boards with pertinent and relevant information.
- Assist HR Department with scanning HR related documents such as terminated employee files, 401k distributions, etc...
- File documents into appropriate Employee files.
- Acts as back-up to the receptionist.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist the Director of HR with various administrative tasks to support department operations as directed; may also be assigned special projects.
- Perform tasks which are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job, but which may be altered or redesigned designated by the needs of the department or agency.
- Meet on-going requirements to maintain current training certifications
Job Location ( on site )
420 Cowpath Road Office
Equipment/machines used in the performance of this job
Must maintain skills necessary to safely and efficiently operate the following equipment and machines used in the performance of this job:
- PC Terminal
- DVD equipment
- Other office equipment